Korean Emergency Phrases for Tourists: Medical Help & 119

Travel Korean · Emergency & Medical

Korean Emergency Phrases for Tourists: Medical Help & 119

Call for urgent help, describe symptoms, share essential medical information, and communicate at a hospital or pharmacy in South Korea.

HomeTravel KoreanKorean Emergency Phrases
Traveler using Korean emergency phrases to request medical help and call 119 in Korea
Save emergency numbers and your Korean address before you need them.

Important Medical Notice

This language guide is not medical advice and cannot diagnose a condition or replace professional care. For a serious or life-threatening medical emergency in Korea, call 119 immediately. Do not delay emergency care to translate every sentence. Follow instructions from emergency professionals and your own clinician-approved medical plan.

Quick Emergency Answer

For an ambulance or fire emergency, call 119. For police, call 112. State your location first, describe what happened, say how many people need help, and follow the operator’s instructions.

Say: 응급 상황이에요. 구급차를 보내 주세요.
It is an emergency. Please send an ambulance.

Explore More Korean

Emergency Numbers in South Korea

NumberServiceUse It ForImportant Note
119Fire and emergency medical servicesAmbulance, fire, life-threatening medical emergencySay “English please” or “Interpreter please” if needed.
112PoliceCrime, violence, immediate public-safety threatGive your location and immediate danger first.
1330Korea Travel HelplineGeneral travel information and language assistanceNot a substitute for 119 or 112 during an emergency.
1339Infectious-disease inquiriesCurrent infectious-disease guidanceFor an ambulance or medical emergency, call 119.
Location comes first: save your hotel or accommodation address in Korean. If you do not know the address, share a nearby building, station exit, shop name, road sign, or smartphone map location.

Korean Medical Words to Recognize

응급실 — Emergency Room

Romanization: eung-geup-sil · Related word: 응급 (emergency)


eung · ㅇ+ㅡ+ㅇ

geup · ㄱ+ㅡ+ㅂ

sil · ㅅ+ㅣ+ㄹ
KoreanRomanizationMeaning
병원byeong-wonHospital / medical facility
의원ui-wonClinic
응급실eung-geup-silEmergency room
약국yak-gukPharmacy
구급차gu-geup-chaAmbulance
의사 / 간호사 / 약사ui-sa / gan-ho-sa / yak-saDoctor / nurse / pharmacist

Body Parts and Common Symptoms

Basic pain pattern: [body part]이/가 아파요. — “My [body part] hurts.”
Example: 머리가 아파요. — “My head hurts.”
SymptomKoreanRomanizationMeaning
Headache머리가 아파요.meo-ri-ga a-pa-yoMy head hurts.
Abdominal pain배가 아파요.bae-ga a-pa-yoMy stomach hurts.
Fever열이 나요.yeo-ri na-yoI have a fever.
Cough기침이 나요.gi-chi-mi na-yoI have a cough.
Dizziness어지러워요.eo-ji-reo-wo-yoI feel dizzy.
Vomiting토했어요.to-hae-sseo-yoI vomited.
Diarrhea설사를 해요.seol-sa-reul hae-yoI have diarrhea.
Allergy알레르기가 있어요.al-le-reu-gi-ga i-sseo-yoI have an allergy.

Phrases for Potentially Serious Symptoms

Use direct phrases and call 119 when symptoms are serious, sudden, rapidly worsening, or life-threatening. Do not rely on this list to decide whether care is necessary.

KoreanRomanizationMeaning
숨쉬기 힘들어요.sum-swigi him-deu-reo-yoIt is difficult to breathe.
가슴 통증이 있어요.ga-seum tong-jeung-i i-sseo-yoI have chest pain.
의식이 없어요.ui-si-gi eop-seo-yoThe person is unconscious.
피가 많이 나요.pi-ga ma-ni na-yoThere is heavy bleeding.
경련을 해요.gyeong-nyeo-neul hae-yoThe person is having a seizure.
심한 알레르기 반응이에요.sim-han al-le-reu-gi ba-neung-i-e-yoIt is a severe allergic reaction.

Essential Korean Emergency Phrases

KoreanRomanizationEnglishUse
도와주세요!do-wa-ju-se-yoPlease help me!Get nearby attention.
119에 전화해 주세요.il-il-gu-e jeon-hwa-hae ju-se-yoPlease call 119.Ask another person to call.
구급차를 보내 주세요.gu-geup-cha-reul bo-nae ju-se-yoPlease send an ambulance.Request ambulance dispatch.
여기 주소는 [주소]예요.yeo-gi ju-so-neun [ju-so]-ye-yoThe address here is [address].State your location.
영어 통역을 부탁드립니다.yeong-eo tong-yeo-geul bu-tak-deu-rim-ni-daI need English interpretation, please.Request language assistance.
가장 가까운 응급실이 어디예요?ga-jang ga-kka-un eung-geup-si-ri eo-di-ye-yoWhere is the nearest emergency room?For non-dispatch directions; call 119 for emergencies.

Medical Details to Prepare in Korean

Keep a phone note or card with accurate information checked before travel. Do not translate medicine names from memory; copy the generic and brand names from the original prescription or package.

InformationKorean PhraseMeaning
Allergy[물질]에 알레르기가 있어요.I am allergic to [substance].
Current medicine복용 중인 약은 [약 이름]이에요.The medicine I currently take is [name].
Medical condition[질환]이 있어요.I have [condition].
Pregnancy임신 중이에요.I am pregnant.
Symptom start[시간] 전부터 아팠어요.It started hurting [time] ago.
Emergency contact긴급 연락처는 [번호]예요.My emergency contact is [number].

At a Korean Pharmacy: 약국

A pharmacist can assess whether an available nonprescription product is appropriate or whether you should see a doctor. Show your current medicines, allergies, conditions, and symptoms. Ask for written dosage instructions and confirm whether the medicine causes drowsiness.

KoreanMeaningWhy Ask
처방전 없이 살 수 있는 약이 있나요?Is there medicine I can buy without a prescription?Availability depends on the medicine and your situation.
어떻게 복용해야 하나요?How should I take it?Confirm dose, timing, and duration.
이 약은 졸리게 하나요?Does this medicine cause drowsiness?Important before driving or other activities.
이 약과 같이 먹어도 되나요?Can I take it with this medicine?Show the exact medicine or package.
병원에 가야 하나요?Should I go to a hospital?Ask when symptoms need medical evaluation.
Convenience-store caution: some registered stores sell a limited range of designated nonprescription emergency medicines. Availability varies, and staff do not replace a pharmacist or doctor. Read the label and do not self-treat a serious condition.

At a Hospital or Clinic

Language support varies by facility, time, and department. Large hospitals may operate international healthcare centers, but do not assume an English-speaking clinician or interpreter will always be immediately available.

KoreanMeaning
접수는 어디에서 하나요?Where do I register?
여권을 가지고 있어요.I have my passport.
영어를 할 수 있는 분이 계신가요?Is there someone who speaks English?
통역이 필요해요.I need an interpreter.
진료비 영수증과 진단서가 필요해요.I need a medical-expense receipt and medical certificate.

Real-Life Practice Dialogues

Dialogue 1: Calling 119

Caller: 응급 상황이에요. 구급차를 보내 주세요.
It is an emergency. Please send an ambulance.

Operator: 위치가 어디예요?
Where are you?

Caller: 서울역 1번 출구 앞이에요.
I am in front of Exit 1 at Seoul Station.

Operator: 환자 상태가 어떤가요?
What is the patient’s condition?

Caller: 의식이 없고 숨을 쉬고 있어요.
The person is unconscious and breathing.

Dialogue 2: At a Pharmacy

Traveler: 어제부터 머리가 아프고 열이 나요.
Since yesterday, I have had a headache and fever.

Pharmacist: 알레르기나 복용 중인 약이 있나요?
Do you have any allergies or medicines you currently take?

Traveler: 페니실린에 알레르기가 있어요. 이 약을 복용 중이에요.
I am allergic to penicillin. I currently take this medicine.

Traveler: 어떻게 복용해야 하나요? 병원에 가야 하나요?
How should I take it? Should I go to a hospital?

Emergency Korean Practice

Select each question to reveal the answer.

1. Which number should you call for an ambulance in Korea?

Answer: 119.

2. How do you say “Please send an ambulance”?

Answer: 구급차를 보내 주세요.

3. What does “숨쉬기 힘들어요” mean?

Answer: It is difficult to breathe.

4. How do you tell medical staff you currently take a medicine?

Answer: 복용 중인 약은 [약 이름]이에요. Show the original prescription or package.

5. Is 1330 a replacement for 119 during a medical emergency?

Answer: No. Call 119 for emergency medical services. Use 1330 for general travel and language assistance.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I call 119 if I do not speak Korean?

Yes. Say “English please” or “Interpreter please” after the call connects. Give your location and the nature of the emergency as clearly as possible.

What is the difference between 병원, 의원, and 약국?

병원 is a hospital or larger medical facility, 의원 is a clinic, and 약국 is a pharmacy. An 응급실 is an emergency room.

Can I buy medicine at a Korean convenience store?

Some registered convenience stores sell a limited group of designated nonprescription medicines. Selection and stock vary. For advice, interactions, allergies, pregnancy, or persistent symptoms, consult a pharmacist or doctor.

Will every Korean hospital have English-speaking staff?

No. Language support varies. Some larger hospitals have international healthcare centers or interpreters, but availability can depend on the facility, department, and time. Ask for 통역 or 영어 support.

Should I use a taxi or call 119?

For a serious, life-threatening, rapidly worsening, or uncertain emergency, call 119 and follow the operator’s instructions. Do not ask hotel staff to choose between an ambulance and taxi for you during a critical event.

Key Takeaway

Save 119, 112, your Korean address, allergies, current medicines, medical conditions, and emergency contact. In a serious medical emergency, state your location first, call 119, and follow professional instructions.

Official Travel-Safety Resources

Popular posts from this blog

Korean Counter Words: Beginner Guide to Counting in Korean

Essential Korean Phrases for Ordering Food Like a Local

How to Say Thank You in Korean: Formal, Polite & Casual Phrases