How and when to use 을 and 를 in Korean!

📍 Course Directory: Unit 1 Lesson 3

Welcome to Unit 1, Lesson 3! In our last lesson, we mastered topic and subject markers (은/는 and 이/가). Now, it is time to complete your core sentence-building kit by learning Korean object particles: 을 (eul) and 를 (reul).

If subject markers point to who is performing an action, object particles point directly to what is receiving the action. Understanding how to attach and to nouns allows you to move beyond simple descriptions and start forming dynamic, action-oriented Korean sentences like "I drink coffee," "I read a book," or "I meet a friend."

What Is an Object Particle in Korean?

In English, we identify the direct object of a sentence purely by word order. For instance, in the sentence "I eat bread," the word "bread" comes right after the verb "eat," telling us that bread is what gets eaten.

Korean works differently. Because Korean follows a Subject + Object + Verb (SOV) order, the verb always sits at the very end of the sentence. To make sure there is no confusion about which noun receives the action, Korean attaches Korean object particles (을/를) directly to the end of the object noun.

Korean Sentence Blueprint:
[Subject + Topic/Subject Particle] + [Object + Object Particle (을/를)] + [Action Verb]
Example: 저는 빵을 먹어요. (Jeo-neun ppang-eul meog-eo-yo.) = "As for me, bread [object marker] eat."

The Rule: When to Use 을 vs. 를

Choosing between and is straightforward and relies on the exact same phonetics principle as our previous lessons: checking for a Batchim (받침 - final consonant) at the bottom of the noun's last syllable block.

Particle Condition Noun Example Combined Result Meaning
을 (eul) Ends in a Consonant (Has Batchim) (chaek - book) 책을 (chae-geul) book (as object)
를 (reul) Ends in a Vowel (No Batchim) 커피 (keo-pi - coffee) 커피를 (keo-pi-reul) coffee (as object)

Why Does This Batchim Rule Exist?

Korean language design prioritizes effortless vocal flow. When a noun ends in a consonant sound (like ending in ), attaching the vowel-starting particle allows the bottom consonant to slide smoothly into the next syllable: chaeg + eul → chae-geul. Conversely, if a noun ends cleanly in a vowel sound (like 커피), adding the consonant-starting particle prevents two vowel sounds from clashing awkwardy.

Real-World Examples with Transitive Verbs

Let's look at how Korean object particles function across everyday scenarios. Notice how the particle attaches to the object noun right before the verb!

1. Consonant-Ending Nouns + 을

  • (mul - water) + 물을 마셔요. (Mu-reul ma-syeo-yo.) = "I drink water."
  • 음악 (eum-ak - music) + 음악을 들어요. (Eum-a-geul deu-reo-yo.) = "I listen to music."
  • (bap - cooked rice/meal) + 밥을 먹어요. (Ba-beul meog-eo-yo.) = "I eat a meal."

2. Vowel-Ending Nouns + 를

  • 사과 (sa-gwa - apple) + 사과를 사요. (Sa-gwa-reul sa-yo.) = "I buy an apple."
  • 영화 (yeong-hwa - movie) + 영화를 봐요. (Yeong-hwa-reul bwa-yo.) = "I watch a movie."
  • 친구 (chin-gu - friend) + 친구를 만나요. (Chin-gu-reul man-na-yo.) = "I meet a friend."

Special Grammar Shortcut: Separating 하다 (Ha-da) Verbs

In Korean, dozens of common action verbs are created simply by combining a noun with the action verb 하다 (ha-da), which means "to do."

Common ~하다 Compound Verbs:
  • 공부하다 (gong-bu-ha-da) = To study (literally: "to do study")
  • 운동하다 (un-dong-ha-da) = To exercise (literally: "to do exercise")
  • 일하다 (il-ha-da) = To work (literally: "to do work")

Because these verbs are built from a noun plus "do," you can split them apart and insert an object particle! Both versions mean the exact same thing:

  • Combined form: 저는 한국어를 공부해요. (Jeo-neun han-gug-eo-reul gong-bu-hae-yo.)
  • Separated with object particle: 저는 한국어 공부를 해요. (Jeo-neun han-gug-eo gong-bu-reul hae-yo.) = "As for me, I do Korean language study."

Reading & Writing Practice

Let's practice combining subjects, objects with particles, and basic verbs. Read each sentence aloud, paying special attention to the batchim liaison sound when pronouncing .

  1. 민수는 우유를 마셔요.
    Min-su-neun u-yu-reul ma-syeo-yo.
    "Minsu drinks milk." (우유 ends in vowel → 를).
  2. 수진이가 옷을 사요.
    Su-jin-i-ga os-eul sa-yo.
    "Sujin buys clothes." (옷 ends in consonant ㅅ → 을, pronounced o-seul).
  3. 저는 한국 드라마를 봐요.
    Jeo-neun han-guk deu-ra-ma-reul bwa-yo.
    "I watch Korean dramas." (드라마 ends in vowel → 를).
  4. 학생이 책을 읽어요.
    Hak-saeng-i chaeg-eul ilg-eo-yo.
    "The student reads a book." (책 ends in consonant ㄱ → 을).

Interactive Knowledge Check

Test Your Knowledge on Korean Object Particles!

Choose the correct object particle or sentence structure for each question.

Question 1: Which object particle attaches to (cha - tea/car)?

A) 을 (eul)
B) 를 (reul)
C) 가 (ga)

Question 2: Fill in the blank: 저는 신문___ 읽어요. ("I read the newspaper." Note: 신문 ends in consonant ㄴ).

A) 을 (eul)
B) 를 (reul)
C) 은 (eun)

Question 3: What is the correct Korean word order for "I eat bread"?

A) I (저는) + eat (먹어요) + bread (빵을)
B) Bread (빵을) + I (저는) + eat (먹어요)
C) I (저는) + bread (빵을) + eat (먹어요)

Question 4: Why can you drop 을/를 in fast, casual spoken Korean?

A) Because object particles are grammatically illegal in spoken speech.
B) Because context makes the object obvious to native speakers.
C) Because Korean verbs change into nouns when spoken fast.

Click here to reveal the answers

Answers:

1. B) 를 (reul) ( ends in vowel ㅏ, so attach 를 → 차를).

2. A) 을 (eul) (신문 ends in final consonant ㄴ, so attach 을 → 신문을).

3. C) I (저는) + bread (빵을) + eat (먹어요) (Korean strictly follows Subject + Object + Verb order).

4. B) Because context makes the object obvious to native speakers. (In casual daily speech, particles are frequently dropped if the meaning remains clear).

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is it bad if I accidentally mix up 을 and 를?

Not at all! Native speakers will still understand your intent 100% of the time based on context. Getting used to picking the right particle based on batchim simply takes a little speech muscle memory.

2. Can every Korean verb take an object particle?

No. Only transitive verbs (verbs that act upon something, like eat, buy, read, see, meet) take object particles. Descriptive adjectives (like tall, cold, pretty) or intransitive verbs (like exist, go, sleep) do not take 을/를.

3. What is the shorthand version of 를 in casual messaging?

In text messaging, native Korean speakers often shorten words ending in vowels by attaching directly to the bottom of the syllable block (e.g., 뭐를 = "what").

4. How do I say "I like X" in Korean with object particles?

The verb "to like" in Korean is 좋아하다 (jo-a-ha-da), which is an action verb taking object particles! E.g., 저는 BTS를 좋아해요 = "I like BTS."

5. Should I always include 을/를 when writing essays or formal Korean?

Yes! While particles are frequently dropped in casual spoken conversations, including Korean object particles in written, formal, or official speech is essential for grammatical completeness.

Conclusion

Congratulations on mastering Korean object particles! By attaching after consonants and after vowels, you can now link nouns directly to action verbs and form complete, natural Subject-Object-Verb sentences.

Keep practicing by labeling everyday objects around your home and pairing them with simple verbs. In our next lesson, we will explore location particles ( and 에서) so you can start talking about where actions take place!

← Previous Lesson: Korean Topic Particles and Subject Particles

Popular posts from this blog

Korean Counter Words: Beginner Guide to Counting in Korean

Essential Korean Phrases for Ordering Food Like a Local

How to Say Thank You in Korean: Formal, Polite & Casual Phrases